Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Kaylin's rough year

Kaylin will turn one year old on Friday. I was doing some math and found some interesting figures from her first year. In her first year, Kaylin has:
  • Been to the Emergency Room
  • Seen two specialist
  • Had three jaundice tests her first week of life
  • Had 7 x rays on her leg
  • Fractured a bone in two places
  • Provided two stool samples for testing(I literally threw up collecting those)
  • Had two blood draws-one was super smooth and one was incredibly traumatic
  • Spent 6 weeks with major diahrrea
  • Cut 5 teeth in the month of March
Our sweet baby girl has been through too much this winter. We met with a Pediatric Gastroenterologist. It was determined that the original virus from our trip in St. George moved down into her bowels and damaged the lining of her intestines. The cilia no longer functioned properly thus causing the food to flush quickly through her system. At the worst part of the experience she had diarrhea 8-10 times a day. Another side effect was her new intolerance to milk. Things got much better when we switched her to soy formula. After 2 months I finally feel like things are back to normal. The doctor assured us that her system would eventually heal itself and I believe it has. She has a healthy appetite and has amazed us by her ability to eat anything we offer her!! I made some mistakes with the older three by catering to what they wanted to eat and have had to really work with them on eating. It has been wonderful to sit down with a baby and feed her whatever I'm eating. She likes bbq sauce, sweet and sour sauce and tomato sauce. This has been a great blessing in my life. I'm experimenting with milk products this week. I would love to be able to switch her to cow's milk but I don't think she is ready. I gave her a bottle of regular formula last week and she woke up from a nap in pain. Hopefully this part resolves itself as well.  I am grateful for the progress she has made and for how her body has healed. I am hopeful that her second year of life will be less traumatic.

No comments: