Monday, March 4, 2013

Bedrest/preterm labor

 Thank goodness for all my snuggle buddies. I spend a lot of time in my new chair Mark bought for me for Christmas. We all like to snuggle with Mark's queen size fleece blanket that I gave him for Christmas.


Claire was born at 35 weeks. Sean was born at 36 weeks. I am just over 33 weeks pregnant with our baby daughter and my body is ready for her to come now. I have been having contractions for a few weeks but they were minor and only occurred for a small part of the day. Last Monday I spent the whole day cleaning and pushing myself too hard. I contracted all day Tuesday. I saw my doctor on Wednesday for my regular appointment only to find that I was already starting to dilate and needed to get my body to stop contracting. I went home on modified bedrest with the promise that I would get down as soon as contractions started.  I couldn't seem to get a handle on it though on Thursday and woke up Friday morning at 4am to contractions every 3-5 minutes. The doctor sent us to the hospital for further testing and monitoring. The results of the tests indicate that I am headed for actual labor and this baby will be here very soon. They sent me home on full bedrest with medication to stop the contractions. I received two steroid shots to help speed up the baby's lung development. We are hoping to keep her in as long as possible but I believe we will see her in the next two weeks at best. We are ready to go any time and are preparing for our daughter to be in the NICU. It is an odd thing to prepare to deliver a baby that doesn't get to come home. Mark was home all weekend and cooked, cleaned and took care of 5 of us. I am glad that he could go to work today for a break from this busy household. Fortunately Sean rides the bus to school and is gone a full day. Claire has Kindergarten each day and I am grateful to the friends in the neighborhood for getting her to and from school. Luke is a pretty easy going little kid. He is watching Thomas the Train right now and eating fruit snacks. Mark will be leaving work each day at 5 to be home for the full evening's activities. For now the house is clean and we have food coming in. I am grateful for everyone's concern and support. We are taking this one day at a time and are grateful for each day she stays inside. 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love you, Andrea! I would be a basket case and nobody would want to be around me. :) You're the best mom she could possibly have, just take care o the both of you!

Sarah Osborne said...

Oh Andrea, I hope she stays in for a few more weeks! I'm so glad they were able to stop the labor and that so many people have stepped in to help. Praying for you!

Mrs. Small House said...

So grateful for modern medicine delaying her arrival. You are so lucky to have Mark and awesome neighbors helping you! Wish we were close enough to help, but you will be in our prayers!