
Our sweet Sean went to his first day of preschool today. He is enrolled in the Bridges program-Kids on the Move's new autistic preschool program. Sean will attend school two days a week for two hours at a time. There are 8 students in his class. 6 of the students are from all areas of the autism spectrum. Two of the students are typical children that help model typical behaviors for the other kids. My favorite part is that there are 4 teachers. Sean will be receiving lots of one on one time. Sean is diagnosed with mild autism. This means that although he has significant struggles he also has some really good behaviors and abilities that will help him through his hard times. Sean's teachers will be working with him on his specific areas of concern. They will be focusing on speech, receptive communication(how he processes what he hears), eye contact and social interactions. This is not a two hour play group! Sean will be required to work really hard and to learn lots to help prepare him for kindergarten.

Claire is Sean's greatest cheerleader! She is so excited that Sean is going to preschool just like she is. These two kids are best friends. Claire is forever patient with Sean's challenges. Sean follows her around and imitates her which makes Claire his greatest teacher.


I am excited for Sean. Bridges is the program that I wanted him in and I was thrilled that they had an opening. I recognize that Sean needs more help that what I can give him at home and am anxious to see his progress. Sean's class begins at 9:00am in Orem which means that my three kids and I are in for some crazy days(we will be staying in the area while he is in class-let me know if and when we can come play!). Mark and I are hanging in there. Sending my not quite 3 year autistic son off to preschool with extra diapers and wipes in his little Lightening McQueen back pack is not exactly what I had anticipated for myself or my son. I wish I understood why Sean was sent with extra challenges. I am so grateful for the resources that we have available to us and that we can be apart of a great program.
No comments:
Post a Comment